Thursday 2 February 2012

Generation 1, Chapter 9: If it isn't me that's going crazy, it's my parents

In my arms, I hold my newborn son, who Kaylin dubbed he should be named Keegan. I find it hard to believe that just two days ago, he was born. In a matter of two days, a lot has happened. For instance, Keegan's room has finally been decorated!
Even though the color blue is clichéd when used in a boys' room, I still find myself drawn to using the color, and end up using it EVERYWHERE. The crib, the curtains, even the toybox. I have my fingers crossed that Keegan's favorite color will be BLUE!
"Sweet dreams, my beautiful boy. Tomorrow will be where you enter a completely different world," I murmur to my baby. Tomorrow is his birthday, and Alex and my parents would be coming over to attend it. They've been very insistent on seeing their newest set of grandchildren, which doesn't surprise me; Alex's parents have been waiting quite a while to see some grandkids, and his siblings haven't started a family yet.
Keegan's room isn't the only room that went for a complete renovation. Kaylin's room also had a very much needed transformation. The girl is OBSESSED with pets, that it was a must for her room. It retains a bit of its girly-ness, but looks more mature, and a better fit for Kaylin.
As I'm preparing my famous grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch later today (seeing as nobody likes "fancy" dishes), I hear Kaylin's soft footsteps click-clack on the tiled floor. I roll my eyes at her antics - today was the day she decided to dress like a cowgirl, and that explains the outfit. Like the helpful person I know she is, she fills up the dogs' food tray.

"Oh, mom, remember that Keegan will be coming over today, after school."

"WHAH???" I spin around to face her, eyes blinking rapidly.

"My friend, Keegan, who I told you about... Eh heh...," Kaylin's eyes avert mine, desperately searching around the kitchen for something that probably doesn't exist.

"Oh, your friend... Sorry, I got confused with Keegan, your brother, and Keegan, your friend... Okay, I don't have a problem with it. But I DON'T like the idea that you jump this idea on me now without previously talking to me about it."

"PLEASE! It's not that big a deal! And daddy kinda-sorta said yes."

I let out a deep sigh, resigning to the fact that my daughter will always run to her father to ask for something. "Fine."

I comfort myself with the fact that Kaylin is a responsible person, who wouldn't go make friends with crazy people. Turns out I'm dead wrong with that idea.
After their school day, Kaylin comes in, jumping and skipping into the dining area room, anxiously awaiting for her "friend" to come in as well.

"And THIS is the dining room. We're gonna have lunch here. My mom already made some sandwiches, and they are to die for!"

Silently, like a ghost, her friend Keegan enters, surveying the hallway. Seeing his blank stare and his aura of mystery just gives me chills. He just looks...dark.
"So did you hear about happened to Alice outside...? ...Yeah, totally! I laughed my backside off when... I know it's bad of me, but I couldn't help it!" I catch hints of their "secret" conversation with each other, and it seems to be innocent. Kaylin isn't showing any signs that she's madly in love with this boy, which appeases my motherly instincts.
Friday happens to be our "family fun" day, where we go out and do something as a family. It's a system Alex and I implemented, hoping to relations between siblings positive. But seeing as Kaylin's only other sibling is still a baby, we can't take him with us, and leave him in the care of a babysitter. As a sort of a "sit in" for her brother, Kaylin brings along her friend. This results in her talking to him for the the rest of the evening.

Poor Odyssey, who's real owner is Kaylin, seems to feel a bit left out, so Alex and I take care of her.
"They're not teenagers yet... So those heavy emotions haven't developed yet. Hmph. Hopefully Kaylin won't stick with this guy till after school and end up marrying him...," I muse out loud.

"What are you doing, Rose?" Alex chuckles, still calling me by my old nickname. "Your mother instincts being hyper?"

"Hey, I'm just trying to protect our daughter from being hurt. I know NOTHING of this friend she's brought along, and it seems they might be friends for a long time."

This fit of hysteria from my side makes Alex choke of the laughter. "Oh, Des, you should hear what you're saying... It's like my mother was." My stare of death is enough to make his laughter stop abruptly. "Look, I actually went and did research on him, because I'm also protective of my little girl. The boy's name is Keegan O'Hara, and his family originally comes Hidden Springs. His mother and father are divorced, and he lives with his mother. They've been struggling to make ends meet, and I think... I think he sometimes sleeps on the street, because they don't have a proper home, and his mother is abusive. It's not the best background a person can come from, but he genuinely seems to care for Kaylin. Just give him a chance."

The sad story of the life of Keegan O'Hara nearly moves me to tears. I was so quick to criticize him, just because of how he looked, not knowing what he's been through.
I don't want to give Alex the satisfaction of causing me to be dumbstruck, so I agilely mount Odyssey and speed around the training posts. This gives me the time to think about what I've done wrong, and how to make amends.

Just before Keegan turns to run off to his "home", I stop him. "Uh, Keegan... Would you like to stay for the night? You're truly welcome. You seem to be a very good friend to Kaylin."

Keegan smiles, and the kindness of this smile astounds me. "Thank you, misses Webber, but I really should go home tonight. I wouldn't say no to staying later than usual to spend more time with you guys, though!"
Till after ten in the evening, we sit in front of the TV, taking turns with the video game controllers (as there aren't enough), battling out against each other in Grand Theft Auto. Alex sports off a red Ferrari, Keegan goes with a black Porsche, while Kaylin chooses a white Audi. The only thing about the cars I can identify is their manufacturing names, which sets Alex and Keegan off laughing again. Honestly, am I THAT funny?

"Did Keegan tell you guys about how things are at his house? Apparently they have a TV bigger than this one!" Kaylin informs us with pride. "I think it's time we upgrade ours."

Alex and I share a knowing look, aware that that is a lie, but decide not to burst her bubble. In her mind, Keegan is absolutely perfect.
Alex drives Keegan to his house around 11 o' clock, and we climb into bed soon afterwards. Sadly, the next morning, we're awaken early by the buzzing at the front door.

"Darn it. Sometimes I hate my parents," I groan.

I slap on a set of clothing sluggishly, and quickly glide down the stairs, taking them two at a time. Swinging the front door open reveals only two friendly faces.

"Where's mom, and my sisters?" I ask, frowning.

"And good morning to you, too, darlin'! I thought I taught you to to at least greet people when they come to visit you," my dad smiles.

"Sorry, daddy, I just got up. Morning, daddy, morning misses Web-... I mean, Mary."

"You caught yourself this time," Alex's mother laughs. "Honestly, misses Webber really makes me feel old, which I don't want to feel like!"
"Can anyone please tell me why my father isn't here? He's never here... Always off on some business venture or whatever," Alex growls to his mother.

"Alex, honey, he just wants to make sure everything will be alright for your future, then he'll start focusing more on retirement. Currently, he's stuck in meetings, trying to make sure the company will be completely in your name, and that your family will have votes on what goes on in the business."

"That doesn't explain where my mother is today...," I interrupt them before they turn it into a full scale war. "Daddy, do you mind explaining that to me?"

"Well, your mother and sisters are in Mauritius at this moment, probably enjoying Martini's... I didn't want to sit with them and tan on the beach all day, so I stayed at home to be able to visit my other daughter."
"And speaking of daughter's...," Mary says suddenly, throwing me off guard . "Where is our lovely granddaughter?"

"Ohh... She's at school," Alex answers before I can. "But you still get to meet your grandson, Keegan!"

"That's alright, then. I can live with that. So, Destiny, when do you expect the next Webber child to make an appearance?"

I laugh, thinking it to be a joke. But it turns out she's serious. "Um, I don't know. These kids seem to come at surprising times, so I don't know what to expect!"
The family gathers outside in the garden to celebrate Keegan's transition from baby to toddler. While everyone else is cheering, I struggle to keep the tears from brimming over my eyes. Goodness, after 101 children, you'd think I'd be used to having birthdays and letting go of my children.

Keegan is enveloped in rainbow colored sparks, and the son that sits before me now looks entirely different than I would imagine.

Presenting, Keegan Rose:
Keegan is so incredibly adorable, I can't stop looking at him! He's a perfect mix of Alex and I, with my hair, eye color and mouth, but with Alex's face shape, eye shape and nose. Keegan already has this special chuckle he shows when he's being cheeky, or if he's delighted, like when he's playing with his toys.
Our dogs, Roxy, Ollie and Akira, have been running rampant across the yard for a few days now, and we've been struggling to get them calm. Finally, they seem to have calmed down for today, which actually worries me - It's not in their nature to be so quiet. Leaving Keegan in the good care of Alex, I go to the dogs' room to find them and offer them some snacks.


But it's not the dogs I find in that room.
It's my father, and Mary Webber, my mother-in-law, caught in an embrace.
The sight in front of me shocks me down to my core, and I can't stop a well fueled gasp escaping from between my teeth.


~♥~

Hey there guys/girls! So, it has been a while since my last post, huh? Fear not, I'm still ALIVE! Just lost between homework, projects and essays.... Honestly, this year of school sucks already. -_-

Excuse this very-short-very-crappy post, but I hope to improve on the quality for the next post.

ANYWAYS, who's excited for Showtime?! I certainly am! I already have a bazillion ideas in my head for the next generations for when Showtime comes out.

That's all, folks, till next time!

:)

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...What the geriatric romance? LOL Kaylin, Baby Keegan, and child Keegan are all adorable...I hope to see more of Kaylin's friend in future posts...Great job as always!

    BTW, I am super psyched for Showtime...especially since Rebecca in my broke challenge wants to be a singer! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great new chapter claire, Wow what an ending!!
    And I know how you feel about homework and projects there so long and annoying!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keegan's room is really cute ^.^ And Kailyn's big girl room!
    Keegan (the friend) seems a nice kid after knowing his background, who would've knew alex knew so much! Jokes, you know your my friend really Alex, so long as you don't hurt Destiny ;)
    "Keegan is so incredibly adorable" Yessiree he is! He's incredibly adorable, truly. If you hadn't of already included it I would've in my comment :D
    Ew. That's kinda gross, and so wrong, I mean it's you and Alex. Not your dad his mum! Just wrong Mr Rose and Mrs Webber, wrong!

    I didn't find it crappy at all, I mean look at my lengthy comment right here ^.^
    Anyway, farewell until your next post where I comment.
    Your Red haired freak
    -Liana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my... Mr. Rose and Mrs. Webber. O.o I definitely wasn't expecting THAT.

    Keegan and Kaylin are sooooooo adorable!!! And their rooms are so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. That's just...wrong...Umm...
    I'm kinda creeped out now...that's why I'm writing nonsense...
    Maybe it'll all be clear in the next chapter? Hopefully?

    .....

    Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I love the rooms :D and I get the title now :P

      Delete
  6. ohmygoodnessss..
    i cannot believe alex's mom and destiny's dad were caught like that! thats.. disturbing.. (but makes for an awesome post)
    Keegan is adorable! certainly a great mix between the two :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone, for your lovely comments! I really appreciate them, and I'm loving the reaction from you guys. ^_^ Good to know I can still come up with a storyline that blows your minds. :D

    ReplyDelete