Monday 6 August 2012

Generation 4, Chapter 1: The nightmare

"Oh, Danny! You know I can't do that!" Sarah giggled profusely, cringing away from me as I reached over to tickle her.

"What's another five minutes away from the art gallery? Your boss can't fire you just because of that," I argued, but sensed that I was going to lose this battle. Sarah had never been one to bend the rules for her own pleasure, even if she wanted to. She was the kindest person I had ever met, and the best fiancée I could ever have wished for.
"This is Paris, Daniel. The people here are a lot different than back home, and probably not as lenient."

"Sarah, you're right, this is Paris, the city of love. We're supposed to be enjoying our little vacation, not work our butts of as a student. I'm sure your boss could understand the fact that you need some more time with your fiancé."
"Nope," she shook her head with a smile. "No can do."

"You are so stubborn," I laughed. "Alright, if you don't want to take off some time, how about I accompany you to your place of employment?"

"I don't know... Isn't that stretching the rules a bit too thin? I'm not sure company rules allow that."


"Sarah, come on! Throw me a bone or something!"

"Okay, okay, just because you asked so nicely. I'll tell my boss you, a friend, were dying to see some of the exhibits before the gallery has officially opened. He can't argue against that."
As Sarah was impatient to walk all the way back to the art gallery, I offered to drive her there, something that was a rare sight in Paris. The city was so beautiful, you never wanted to climb into a car and let the sights pass you so fast. You wanted to savor it for as long as you could before reality hit you in the face.

All the way up in the elevator, Sarah kept dancing around the cramped space, teasing me, tickling me the way I always tickled her. She was the complete opposite of me, playful and kindhearted. I was always the serious one, but Sarah, she changed me.

"This place...it looks fantastic. Where did you get all of this stuff?!"

"A lot of it is on loan from the Egyptian and Chinese government. After a few months, we'll have to return it."

"So it's a good thing I decided to drop in for a little visit," I chuckled.

"Yes, it is," she blew me a little kiss from where she stood at the flower bush. "Just don't go telling everybody about your 'secret visit'."
"That won't be necessary," a voice emanated from the elevator, and as the doors opened, a black clad individual stepped out. His attire wasn't what scared me. What was in his hand was a lot more threatening.

And he was pointing that gun at Sarah.
"Where are the most valuable pieces of art, woman?" the figure kept his weapon pointed at her.

"T-there aren't any!" she cried out, taking a step back and almost tripping over into the small pool connected to the fountain. "The art gallery isn't open yet because most of the artifacts haven't arrived yet. We only have smaller objects on display currently..."

The man smirked. "Your loss, then."
I didn't hear a thing, but I knew what had happened, because in that moment, all I could see was the fear that shone in Sarah's eyes, the obvious pain she was feeling.

He had shot her.

"Daniel," she yelped out, her hand dropping to her stomach. When she took it away, it was covered in blood.
It was as if a movie was taking place in front of me. Sarah sunk to the ground in slow-motion, her eyes still locked on mine. She kept calling to me, but I could not hear her. Her voice had completely faded to a whisper.

That wasn't the only problem on hand. In the corner of my eye, I could see the gun being pointed at me. I was next.

"So, lover boy, how you doin'? I guess you're ready to tackle me now, huh?"

The feeling of hatred that stirred in me was powerful, and all I wanted to do was let it go and murder the man before me. But I couldn't. I was frozen where I stood.
"Guess not, then," he laughed darkly. "Seems like you didn't care too much for her, in the end." Like the coward he was, the culprit turned and ran into the elevator, quickly travelling back to the ground floor. I prayed that someone would see him running away, and call the police.
What had just took place finally started to sink in, and I fell to my knees, sobbing. Sarah was dead because of me. I had promised to protect her from everything and everyone, yet when the moment presented itself, I froze, and it cost her her life.

Crawling all the way to where she lay on the floor, I took her motionless body, hugging it against me. The blood that stained her dress now stained mine. If only we could have shared the pain, and everything that had followed.

"I'm so sorry, Sarah... I failed you."

~*~
The clock read exactly 12:03 AM. I had barely gotten any sleep during the night. I should have been used to it by now. I never got enough sleep.

The nightmare came, every night, as if it had scheduled a meeting with me. It was never late, too. For the past four years, it was recurring, and there was no sign that it would ever stop.

Sarah's eyes would forever haunt me. I blamed myself for what happened, and for good reason. Maybe I deserved the nightmares. It was punishment for the fact that I lived and she didn't.

I would never be able to forgive myself.

12 comments:

  1. Aw, Daniel... :(

    That's so sad that he experienced that. Poor man, I would probably have nightmares too.

    I can't help but wonder who that man is too...

    Lovely post! I can't wait to read chapter 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As would I. :(

      Thanks for commenting, Amanda!

      Delete
  2. That's so sad. I wanna cry now. :'( Poor Daniel. That would be a terrible thing to live with.

    This is a great start to generation 4! I'm already even more intrigued. Can't wait to find out who the masked man was. O.o

    ~Calista Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly!

      Everyone seems to have these high expectations of him, while in reality, he's already dead. I'll explain that in the next chapter. ;)

      Delete
  3. Poor Daniel, that must be a terrible thing to live with knowing that he could of saved Sarah.

    I'm just wondering who that masked man is, Hmm......

    Just a perfect start to Generation 4, As all of your Generations!

    Great chapter Destiny, and oh, where did you download Sarah's hair from because it just looks AMAZING.

    Great chapter, :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to think like that, but even the best of people wouldn't know what to do. It's the first time he has ever face such a situation, and that's why he sort of panicked.

      I'll reveal more about him in the next chapter. He isn't too important to the general story line. There'll be a lot of other bad guys too!

      Thank you, and I'll get back to you later with the hair. I have to sift through my bookmarks and see if I saved it. I don't really organize my CC that much. ^_^

      Delete
  4. Ooh. An heir, not an heiress. I've been on vacation all week with my triplet cousins, and all three toddlers want to play with me. So, the first moment I get alone and look up the legacy, I find gen. 4 bios and chapter. 1. Yay!!! Poor Sarah and Daniel. Thanks all I can say now, cause im a littled fried from ice cream and 3 little boys.
    -al

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I decided I had to make my legacy a bit more interesting. An all female legacy is nice, but it doesn't really teach me anything as a writer. It's time I learn to write out of the vantage point of a male (as dangerous as that is!).

      Madre de dios. That must have been...either hell, or a lot of fun. O_O

      I'm going to be pumping out these first few chapters really fast (as I'm excited for this generation), so maybe when you check back again, there'll be a lot more. :)

      Good luck to you, and thank you!

      Delete
  5. Oh no...

    I saw the title and so I was waiting for him wake up see she was safe, and then he didn't...

    Sarah could've just buffed and given him something random. But I guess it's hard to think that way at gunpoint.

    I wonder if black-suit is part of some sort of organization. He said that Daniel didn't "care" enough, which is stupid, because tackling him wouldn't have saved Sarah, anyway. And besides you would have to be an idiot to attack a guy with a gun with your fists, so...But it still obviously broke Daniel...:(

    Amazing, dramatic start! :)

    Fawnester

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the title was a bit misleading... I'm gonna try to avoid that in the future.

      Sarah is a very honest person, which is why Daniel loved her so much. Unfortunately, it also led to her death, because even when she's in a difficult situation, she'll speak the truth. :/

      That's actually spot on. ^_^ He's just an idiot. Grunts are usually like that.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Nah, the title fit. It's not your fault I jumped to the wrong conclusion :)

      Fawnester

      PS One of these days I'm going to sign with my actual name by accidents, lol

      Delete